Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Pi Skirt.....signature look

For the final week of the Project Run and Play challenge you were suppose to create a signature look.  I struggled with this quite a bit.  I find that often I end up sewing someone else's signature look and it really isn't mine.  So I thought for a long time.....I have been thinking about it for weeks.   The other day it finally came to me.  I am a teacher so I sit through a lot of meetings.....a lot!  Truth be told I am a little bit ADD and I can't focus so I doodle all over the place.   A few years back I learned about how to prove the formula for the area of a circle.   It was one of those moments that I wished that my elementary teachers had shown me this.  Made the formula for the Area of a circle make sense and stick with me.   Every since then I have taught it to my students and drawn it repeatedly as a part of my doodling during meetings.  
If you are curious about what I am talking about check out this link.........
http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/circle/area.html

When I looked down at my paper the other day it hit me......it was a skirt!

Not only was it a skirt, it was one without the side seems that always seem to throw off the clean look of my skirts.   Also......it provides for a lovely scalloped edge. 


So I went home and searched for the perfect fabric.  What I found was remnants of a circus fabric and thought it was perfect.  

I fully lined the skirt and that let me not have to worry about hemming the edges.  I appropriately named it the Pi skirt.  I was in a hurry to get the skirt sewn for the competition and didn't take as many pictures as I would like, but I will get a tutorial up soon!  Praise the Lord it is almost summer vacation!


I couldn't leave the outfit as just a skirt!  I live in Colorado and it has huge shifts in the weather.  This means I tend to make a lot of separates, that way you can layer.  I made a cute pair of lace leggings (my first time working with lace but that is a story for another day) to go under the skirt.  I also made a shrug jacket with big pleated sleeves.  I haven't decided if I like the sleeves yet..... it is still a work in progress.  Finally, I put a little pink tank top on underneath and a bright orange necklace.   I plan to applique a circus tent onto one of the long sleeve shirts I bought on clearance so that it can transition in to winter later on. 


I was proud of my outfit and think that it really represents me....a little bit of math, bright colors, and a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment